Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Little Gym

I decided since we're here in Arkansas with my parents for so long, I would enroll Josh into a class during the week so he could play with some kids his age and just get some of his ya-ya's out.. It's hard to keep up with him when I have a new baby to take care of too... I'm still just getting the hang of having two kids.
anyway..
I was talking to Tyler about it and rambled off a list of classes we could enroll him in. Immediately Tyler says, "Gymnastics!"
ok.. Not really my first choice, but sure.
So- Monday was his Gymnastics class. We walked in, and he went into the room and all of the other kids started filing in. Yes. Josh is the only boy! And all the girls are wearing adorable little gymnastics suits! And no, you're eyes aren't playing tricks on you.. those ARE tiaras! It just happened to be "Fairy Princess Day"... which promptly changed to "Fairy Princess and the Prince Day."
Too bad though, to that Josh replied, "Uhh, that's good but.. I'm not a Prince. I'm a King." ahh, yes. He seemed to be enjoying himself quite a bit.
So, I look at all the other mom's and say, "No wonder my husband thought he'd have more fun in this class! Look at all the cute little girls!"
All the girls were very nice to Josh and talked to him and invited him to sit by them when they were listening to the instructors.. It was a lot of fun to watch and VERY cute.

Well, he had a blast at Gymnastics as Ty was sure he would- but I wanted to give him a couple choices so I decided to enroll him in Karate the next day. The problem was, the instructor decided that since Josh is so big and he did so well in Gymnastics class, he should be in the 6-8 year old class instead of the 4-6 year old class. errrr... ok. Keep in mind he just turned 4 in March.
Karate went great. They started out with some basic exercises, which Josh helped instruct.. This is Josh almost losing balance out of his hoola hoop.
After the basic exercises, they went around to different stations and did cartwheels, balance beams with high-kicks, etc. Pretty much the same thing he did in Gymnastics, but with a cool karate flair.
Well, we did have one little run-in. Josh was going pretty slow on one of the stations.. he had to grab onto some straps with handles on the bottom and do a swing/jump type thing and land on his feet. It made him kinda nervous at first- and one of the boys behind him (who was older than him) was being kind of impatient. So- what does a boy do?? But PUSH the kid in front almost knocking him off the stand. Josh didn't like that too much. He turned around, kinda got in his face and said sternly, "DON'T PUSH ME.. I'M TAKIN' MY TIME."
Josh turned back around to swing off and he got pushed again.. and again I heard, (a little louder and a tad closer this time) "HEY! I SAID DON'T PUSH ME!"
At that point, the instructor ran over and broke it up and told the kid to stop pushing and helped josh with the exercise.
I have to say, I was grinning from ear to ear and SO proud of my boy that 1) he stood up for himself and 2) he didn't push back!!! Of course immediately afterwards, the boys were back to smiling and having a great time.
SUCCESS!!!

Well, on the way home from class I asked Josh what class he liked best so far.. His answer? Gymnastics. His reason? "The cute little girls." ..I guess he heard me talking about it or something? Or maybe we're just in big trouble with him.
He has another class tomorrow.. a Pre-Sports class for 4-6 year olds. We'll see if that changes his mind.

Otherwise, he will continue to be King.

1 comment:

Beth said...

How funny! He is so secure with himself.
Love the new layout!

Go ahead, leave a comment!

Let me know what you think! Photobucket