Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Picture this: Not your typical shoe-shopping trip...

Me, in an off-white cashmere sweater, nice dark blue jeans, my hair back in a high pony tail, and a face with tinted lips, light pink blush, and a set of eye-lashes you'd think were fake. (if I do say so myself...) ;)
got it?
Now think of that, with my nice dark blue jeans rolled up to my knees, ankle socks and tennis shoes on- running up and down Tejon St in the middle of the day, in the heart of the city, Colorado Springs. Seriously, I got some looks...
That was me, yesterday. Now, in my defense, if I knew what I was in for- I would have dressed a little more appropriately. All I wanted was to go shoe shopping!
With my new found hobby of working out, my old tennis shoes were just not cutting it. They were about 5 years old, and had about as much support as flip flops. I went to this great shoe shop down in the city called The Runners Roost. The employees are all runners themselves, and professionally fit the shoe to your foot.
He had me start by walking up and down the hall in the store so he could see my weight balance on my feet and my stride. He asked what shoe size I normally wear, (size 8 1/2 - 9) and got a pair of shoes from the back. He had me run up and down the street a couple of times while he watched my feet. No good. Too small, and my right foot was turning in a little. (who knew?!?)
Next pair, same. Next? same and so forth. I swear, I probably ran a half a mile! I tried on 6 different shoes (and not once did he ask if I thought they were cute!!)
Finally we got to this pair. New Balance 859 Stability. and are you ready for this? in a size 10 1/2!!!! ACK!!! And I thought I had big feet before!!!
They have a higher sole on the inner side of the shoe and it kept me from turning in my foot. Also, he said the reason I needed such a big size is because when you run, your feet swell and the bones in your foot spread out from the compression on your foot. This is why some people complain of their feet going numb or not having enough circulation. What a smart guy! That totally makes sense! While at the register I finally said to the guy, "I'm so excited that they're pink! They're so cute!!" he paused and grinned and said, "Yep, that's what it's all about." LOL
So today was my first true test of these shoes. They were VERY comfortable and I am incredibly pleased!

Edited to add: I forgot something! They guy was very impressed with my running stride and said that I am very light on my feet, especially for being new to running! What a compliment!

12 comments:

Rebecca said...

DUH!! Of COURSE pink is what it is all about! ♥

Diamond said...

We have a shop that does that here. They record you on a treadmill first so you can see what they're talking about. I bet he picked the Azalea on purpose in the back.

Nonna said...

My feet are big enough...that's why I don't run...( yeah right Lynn ! )

Jim and Marla said...

VERY CUTE! And light on your feet... that's my girl! lolha!

Nana Scott XOXO said...

LOL MOM! I totally read that as "holla" at first.... it almost didn't get published, and I almost died. ;)

Our Life is a Journey said...

Kelly...I have been to that store! That's where I got my last pair of running shoes. Oh my gosh I wonder if that's the same guy that fitted my shoes. Happy running!

Our Life is a Journey said...

Oh and I also started my own blog if you want to check it out. www.armywiferocks.blogspot.com

Julie Geldmacher said...

Cute shoes! Happy running with them.

Marla said...

Oh those shoes are adorable!!! I love them!

camille said...

Your post cracked me up! I have those shoes, but mine are red instead of pink! I love them (but will probably be due for a new pair next year).

Oh, and on the size thing, I should have gotten my shoes at least a half sizer bigger than I did. When I run for 45 minutes or more, my toes go numb. They go numb on the stair climber too - after only 20 minutes! LAME!

Anyway, love your new shoes!

Anonymous said...

Yeah buddy, numb feet are awesome! Too bad you can't join the club. I'm so proud of ya Kell, even in cashmere(yeah I don't know how to spell that word).

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your experience of shoe shopping. I got mine through Timberland.

Go ahead, leave a comment!

Let me know what you think! Photobucket