Saturday, May 17, 2008

By Popular Demand: Biscotti!!!!


Courtesy of Melissa Savage (Changed a little by me.)


1 Cup Butter or Margarine

4 Eggs, (plus one egg white slightly beaten to brush on tops before putting on sliced almonds)

1 Pkg of sliced almonds

5 1/4 Cups flour (or enough to make the dough easy to handle.)

5 tsp. Baking Powder

1/4 tsp. Salt

1 1/2 C Sugar

1 Bottle pure Almond extract (1Fl oz.)


Cream sugar and butter add eggs beat until mixed, add almond extract.

Add 4 cups flour mixed with baking powder and salt.

Add remaining flour and add 1/3 of the sliced almonds. (Or how ever much you want)

Mix until the mixture pulls away from the sides of the mixing bowl.

On wax paper, shape dough into two-three 14 inch-long rolls and put rolls on baking sheet 5 inches apart.

Then, flatten and brush tops with egg whites and put sliced almonds on top.

Bake at 360 to 365 degrees-10 minutes on top rack and 10 minutes on bottom rack. then again, 10 minutes on top rack, 10 minutes on bottom rack.

While still warm, remove the logs from the baking sheet, and place on a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut each log diagonally into 3/4-inch-thick slices.

Once cut, place slices back on cookie sheet and bake again for 15 minutes.

Cool & store in air tight container.


**Optional** In double-broiler, melt chocolate and dip half of each biscotti. Let cool completely (I always just put it in the fridge) and then store in air tight container. (but make sure you don't put it somewhere the chocolate will melt. that's a MESS!)


In my experience, this has done very well in the freezer. you can pull out what you want and it will last much longer.



Enjoy!!! :)

4 comments:

Nurse Heidi said...

An entire BOTTLE of almond? Wow! I love almond, but holy cow, that seems like a lot.

Jim and Marla said...

Thank you! Thank You! it's wonderful and great when you want to give a special gift!!!

Nana Scott XOXO said...

Yep, 1Fl oz of almond extract. I know, it sounds like a lot- but I promise, it's SOOOOO good.
Mmmm....

Melissa said...

LOL!! So weird that you just posted this. I just made these Biscotti's today! I'll have to try your altered recipe, it sounds yummy! I'm really glad you like them so much :) How are you doing by the way? I haven't talked to you in a long time! I miss you on the PT. I wish you guys were still there. Hope things are going well for you & your family! Take care!

Go ahead, leave a comment!

Let me know what you think! Photobucket