I've always had a real close relationship with Grandma and Grandpa Robertson. Growing up, Grandpa affectionately referred to me and Becky as his "Little Shit-Asses". As a life long truck driver, and the sweetest old man I've ever known, I wouldn't have had it any other way. I often give Grandpa a hard time- we can tease each other all day long like nobody's business.. but at the end of they day I love him more than anything and appreciate and treasure our relationship more than he probably realizes.
Anyway, if I could ask- say a prayer for him?
Thanks.
Mom just called me. The doctors were very aggressive with the removal of the tumors- they also were able to take out his right kidney and the two lymph nodes that were infected. They also had to take 2 little portions of his liver. In addition to all of that, they also realized that the cancer had spread into his diaphragm. They had to take a portion of that too and wrapped the rest with a wire mesh to try to hold it all together. The surgery was just under 7 hours, so that was good news- but when the dr came out to talk to my mom, grandma, aunt and uncle, he said that with the surgery Grandpa had today, he has about 12 months to live. I wasn't able to talk to mom about it for very long- obviously she has a lot of people to call and she's dealing with her own emotions as well. She did say that the type of cancer Grandpa has is Renal cell carcinoma. Thanks for the sweet comments- and even the private emails I've received. They mean so much.

7 comments:
You are a beautiful writer. You can make how you feel so real in the way you say it. That is a gift that you share with Tyler. I hope he is keeping a journal.
Your grandpa is a lucky guy to have you in his life.
Hey, that was my nickname too!
Hope your grandfather is okay!
*back to lurkdom*
I'd say your nickname was right on! ♥
BTW - does anyone else think Kelly looks like Becky in that wedding picture?
And of course, Grandpa Dave is in my prayers.
that's so touching. You are very lucky to have a great grandpa like that. I'll be saying a prayer for him :)
Oh, Kelly, my Nana used to call my cousin Debbie and I the same pet name...and believe me, we earned it...we used to pull all kinds of pranks on her ! I could tell her anything and I loved her with all my heart...I still miss her so much...
I will pray for your Grandpa and family...my Daddy has advanced cancer and is ornery too... he has had major surgery, a recent minor one to remove more cancer and 3 rounds of Chemo so far.
Kelly...I'm so sorry!!! I'll be keeping y'all in my prayers (as usual!)
I love ya!!
I'm sorry about your Grandpa, Kelly. I really love that picture of you two. Hugs! I can't believe it's so close to Tyler coming home!!! Did you lose my phone number? ;)
Post a Comment